I have some exciting news. Go Wander, Bee Happy was nominated for a Liebster award, which is really cool. Thank you Christina, the amazing mom behind the 3plusMe blog for nominating me. I really try to make content that would be relatable and fun to read – with a few serious topics thrown in. You should also check out 3plusMe for fun mom-life posts.
The Liebster Award dates back to 2011 and is an internet only award. The Liebster Award is awarded to bloggers, by bloggers. “Many see it as a way of promoting and recognizing fellow bloggers, for their efforts and accomplishments in becoming a bonafide blogger. If you have more questions or would like to learn more about the Liebster Award and its rules please visit: https://theglobalaussie.com/blog/liebster-award-2017/
Part of accepting the Liebster Award is answering questions from the blogger who nominated me, along with sharing some fun facts with my readers. Here are the questions given to me by Christina:
- When and where do you write your blog posts?
I usually write my posts on my living room couch, though a few of them were written on the go on my phone in the park or in the bedroom rocking a napping child. It usually takes a few days for a post because after the initial outpouring of words I like to put it away and come back to edit it a day or two later to make sure it makes sense.
- What’s one topic you’ve yet to blog about, but really want to?
I really want to blog about our actual move to California from Toronto and becoming expats. I always plan on it. That topic was part of the reason I started the blog. I’ve started writing about it several times but so far I’m having trouble organizing my thoughts on it. It’s a huge topic and I’m still working it out in my mind. It’s coming though, I promise!
- What is one thing you do to try and stay connected with your readers?
I try to write my posts the way I would tell a story to a friend. Sometimes it can be difficult but I think it’s important for my voice to be present in my writing.
- How long have you been blogging for?
I started Go Wander, Bee Happy just a few months ago but the idea has been there for a while. Whenever I find myself retelling a story multiple times I think “this would make a great blog post”. I had a blog a long while ago at beehappy.ca before I had kids and it was just something I dabbled in. It was fun but it was disorganized and I stopped working on it when I got pregnant. In the years since I’ve had time to think about what I liked and didn’t like about blogging and what I would do differently next time. That time is now.
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a new blogger?
Write for yourself. Write what you know. I find writing my blog posts to be very cathartic even if no one else ends up reading it (though I hope they do). I hope my readers can sense the passion and sincerity that goes into them.
- What makes your blog successful and worth reading?
Not sure it’s all that successful yet but I do think it’s worth reading. There are a ton of blogs out there and most of them are worth reading. I wish I had time to read them all. I do think that I offer an interesting perspective that comes from my background. I don’t mean to brag but I think I’m doing pretty well at this writing thing and I try to write things in an interesting way. Plus, my wit and sarcasm alone are worth reading.
- What’s your favorite topic to blog about and why?
Favourite topics are things that are minor annoyances. I like to get them off my chest while also joking around about them.
- Who’s your biggest blog supporter?
My talented brother, who is much more familiar with the world of blogging and helped me set up this blog. My friends and family who followed the blog right away and left supportive comments.
- Biggest blogging fear?
The biggest one is I guess the obvious one, that my writing is actually crap and no one is interested in what I have to say.
- Your feelings on being nominated and selecting for the Liebster Award?
I’m very excited to be nominated. Even though this is a personal blog I’d love for more people to read it and I’m excited that Christina saw the potential in it to want to share it with more people.
A few fun facts about me, the blogger of Go Wander, Bee Happy:
- My favourite TV show is “Friends” (who’s shocked?)
- My favourite book is Anne of Green Gables. I read this book for the first time in Hebrew when I was around 9 or 10 living in Israel. I fell in love with the book and with Anne and I really do think that book helped shape me into who I am. I had no idea where PEI is and I definitely didn’t know that someday I would be a citizen of the same country that Anne was from.
- My curly hair didn’t get curly until I hit puberty. In my childhood photos my hair is pretty straight (maybe a bit wavy).
- I like to play board games. Settlers of Catan, Lords of Waterdeep, Citadels are some of my favourites. I also really like Risk but never have time to actually play a whole game.
- Some of you might know that my favourite computer game is Sid Meier’s Civilization. This past winter I put together a new gaming PC just so I could play the new Civ6. What you might not know is that my love for Civ started out with the classic, the original Civilization game. I played it on our 386SX PC and I loaded it from norton commander.
- I might be a mom but I like to nerd it up.
- I have a degree in software engineering and plan to put it to good use again some day
- My favourite numbers are number 3 and number 5. My least favourite numbers are 2 and 7. I know it doesn’t make sense. I included this fun fact on this list because I couldn’t end the list on a 7.
“The Liebster award is similar to a chain email/letter and sure it shares similarities but the underlining idea is to help promote each other’s blogs, especially ones with smaller audiences” I’d like to share the love and nominate a few other blogs that I find to be interesting and enjoy reading. Each one is written by someone who truly offers a unique perspective on the world and I love to see the world through someone else’s eyes.
Sometime Egregious Always Gregarious – http://nayrb.org/~blog/
Working Mama’s Girl Squad – http://www.workingmamasgirlsquad.com/
I don’t stand still – https://idontstandstill.wordpress.com/
Elena Thinks Life – https://elenathinkslife.wordpress.com/blog/
Outdoorsy Types – https://outdoorsytypes.wordpress.com/
Heather’s Reading Hideaway – http://heathersreadinghideaway.blogspot.com/
On Butterflies and Motherhood – http://onbutterfliesandmotherhood.blogspot.com/
Part of the rules is to ask my nominees 10 questions:
- Out of all the places you have visited, which one did you like the most?
- Name a guilty pleasure
- What is a place you visited that turned out to be exactly how you imagined it to be?
- What is your favourite blog post written by you? Why?
- What book do you like to re-read again and again?
- If you could download one other language to your brain and become fluent overnight, what language would it be? Why?
- What made you start blogging?
- Chili from a can, yay or nay?
- What is your biggest challenge as a blogger?
- If you could time travel would you choose to go to the future or to the past? Why?
Congratulations on being selected as some of Diana’s favourite things! If you choose to accept this award please visit the Liebster Award page for a complete list of rules and spread the love! https://theglobalaussie.com/blog/liebster-award-2017/